Thursday, 1 July 2010

Twins & Autism



Since It's Twins, Triplets & More Week 2010 and I'm the (sometimes!) proud mother of a pair of fraternal, non-identical, 7 year-old twin girls, I thought I'd try and shed some light on the subject of autism and twins. Autism is much more common in twins than in the general population. Identical and fraternal twins are at a fourteen-fold and four-fold increased risk respectively of having autism. Much is still unknown about the causes of autism, but these statistics are enough to give cause for concern to many parents of multiples.

I remember the controversy over the MMR - which was still at it's height when I had to decide whether or not to vaccinate my babies. I also remember reading stories of mothers who's twins were both profoundly autistic and thinking how horrific it must be. I was ignorant of autism - there isn't much information out there and nobody wants to confront the possibility that it might affect them and their child.

In the end, the decision over the MMR was made for me. Mya, our (non-autistic twin) contracted bacterial meningitis and was critically ill in hospital. Seeing how quickly these illnesses can claim a child, convinced me that the risk of contracting a fatal disease and having a dead child was worse than the possibility of autism- even though it has still not been definitely proven that there is a link between the MMR and autism.

Now I see autism from the another perspective.

Our daughter Lyla was diagnosed with autism at the age of four.

Autism is  developmental, neurological condition which compromises a person's ability to understand and participate in social situations and to deal with everyday interactions and occurences. A person with autism may also suffer significant disturbance in the way the perceive their senses, smell, taste, touch, sight, which may be distressing. It is therefore common for people affected by autism to live with a constant high degree of anxiety which can impact their behaviour significantly.

In hindsight, it's obvious to me that she was born with autism. She couldn't feed as a baby- a classic sign, she tantrummed constantly as a toddler, (which I put down to the terrible-twos), from the moment she first saw TV, it was like baby-crack and every night from birth, she screamed for hours at bedtime. It was never easy, but dealing with baby twins wasn't a walk in the park, so  I put most of Lyla's difficult behaviour down to that.

Being the mother of twins equipped me in some ways for parenting a disabled child. The shock of two babies screaming 24/7 soon made me calm down about the peripheral stuff- organic baby milk, washable nappies, weaning etc. I binned the rulebooks, relaxed and did it my own way.

Having an autistic child is a bit like this. Readers of this blog will know that often life as a parent of an autistic child is no picnic. Life is chaotic and unpredicatable. Only on Monday, Lyla tried to stab me with a carving knife. This was part of a week-long meltdown, where she completely trashed our house (and us) and which we've now started to unravel and deal with.

Having twins, where one of them is affected by autism creates a special dynamic between them. Lyla lacks social skills and the ability to play, which can be frustrating for them both, but they've found their own way of communicating and playing together. They used to speak to eachother in a special, secret twin language until the age of three- this is a recognised phenomen called cryptophasia. In many ways however, they are very different, but despite this they are very close and care about eachother a great deal and Mya is very protective of Lyla. There is a competitive element as Lyla necessarily gets a lot of attention and Mya has not been above mimicking autistic behaviours to get attention! But all our kids our human beings, disabled or enabled, with as much right to have a fulfilling life as anyone else. And having Lyla in our family has helped Mya develop into an extremely caring, emotionally intelligent young girl.

Autism is lifelong, but not a life sentence.

Our kids are deeply loved by us. Challenging yes, but my challenge is to help people see Lyla for the wonderful, loving person that she is.

10 comments:

  1. That one paragraph where you described autism sums it up perfectly. I have yet to find 'my way' of explaining it to people, it will come in time. I agree with you on what the actual challenge is, my child isn't the biggest challenge I have, nor is his autism his. For all of us it will be about people seeing beyond autism to the wonderful person underneath:) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw - lovely post R. Sometimes though I just want to get off and slow down the pace . . right off to horse-riding now . . . .

    A.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. brilliant picture!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter was born with terrible sensory processing disorder with Asperger's tendancies. I too knew right away that something was different. You are right, that there is hope and help. Here are some websites that helped us... hope they help others!
    www.aitinstitute.org - auditory therapy
    www.brainbalancecenters.com - non-medical intervention for neuro-behavioral disorders
    www.sensoryplanet.com - forum and support for parents of children with sensory issues

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son with Asperger's did the tantrums early on but we never thought it was anything but him being spoiled. The most violent thing he's ever done is reach for a knife drawer to cause himself harm luckily I was able to intercept him. He's such a loving kid otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. My youngest brother is severely Autistic and is coming upto his 43rd birthday. As you can imagine when he was a child nothing was known about autism at all, he was diagnosed with all sorts before he was taken to see Dr Hugh Jolly in London. All my childhood as the eldest child, I spent a lot of my time taking care of J , suffering many taunts and comments in the street.
    Thank you for your post it really does show people what autism is about.
    I am mum to twin boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting, I love hearing your stories, amazing how autism connects with so many people - there are a lot of us out there :) I shall also check out those links....

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am Dad to twin 7 year old lassies one of whom is severely autistic. Our girls don't look at all alike, is this the case with yours also? Aye, it is a lovely post, our girls Seona and Fiona, play together after a fashion and Seona has no violence in her, only frustration. The TV thing strikes a resonant cord, Seona is addicted too and uses the remote constantly replaying short segments, I believe until she has memeorised every minute detail. I am rubbish at using pc and internet but will try to follow this site. Sharing always helps. We are a Scottish family residing in Hong Kong. I use yahoo mail, johnkenny_hk@yahoo.com having difficulty with the profile dooda below so have gone annonymous but don't wish to be. Love, John Kenny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a son who is autisitc struggling at school but happy in his own world! I had my middle daughter assessed and was told she has some autistic traits but are they learned from her older brother or her own? Getting my twin girls assessed soon as they are 2.5yrs no speech and show many autisitc traits- one twin more than the other one. It is a rollercoaster ride and sometimes i feel being a older mother brought this into my kids lives- who knows!!!!! or maybe Genetics...... Thanks for the good read...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, we have twin boys, one austisic and are due to start school in September, School want us to seperate them into different junior classes, but we think they would be better together. Curious what you did with your girls do they go to different schools or same?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails