Thursday, 18 March 2010

Autistic Happenings


Things have been rather hectic of late at Maison Strange. I've been very busy in the run up to the Living With Autism art workshops which I'll be helping deliver tomorrow.

Just to keep things interesting Lyla's ramped up her autistic activities at home.

I normally like to ponder and explain these idiosyncracies of autism, but I'm so drained a the moment, I think I'll list some of them and lay it open for you, lovely readers!

1. The egg-smashing has resumed. This time, kiwi-fruit are also involved

2. Lyla smashed a window. It wasn't part of a tantrum, she simply picked up a rock and threw it at the window. When asked why she did it, she cried.

3. Lyla broke the washing machine circuit board whilst trying to crack the child lock.

4. She dug up ALL the daffodils and replanted them with onions from the fridge (interesting this one?)

5. Lyla has consumed half a bag of frozen peas and hidden the rest of the packet under the sofa.

6. She's shredded three rolls of Andrex into confetti sized pieces and arranged them in random sequences around the house. Apparently they're messages.

7. The last one's an old favourite.....pouring all the shampoo/ bath foam/ Fairy liquid down the plughole.

I leave you with a picture I took of my reflection in a clock yesterday, kinda sums up how I feel right now....

11 comments:

  1. I would call that picture 'Fragmental.'

    Wow. I can imagine you live on a roller-coaster ride with wonderful highs and frustrating lows. From your writing I feel as if you are a very calming person, if that's generally the case then I think your family and especially Lyla are very lucky to have you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've had a week and a half, hope the workshops went well for you, and that Lyla is just having a bad week, and settles a bit for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nothing informative or helpful to say, wish I did. Possibly number 1 is sensory? I would love the sound/feel of eggs/kiwis smashing/squishing, but I am just grasping at straws probably. Fragmented is right girl! Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Rae,

    great image of you in the clock - didn't see it straight away! Very clever and yes, I can see 'fragmentation' in there - how I feel often!

    You do so very well, you are truly amazing, hope you know that. We will have such fun at the workshop tomorrow - in fact, why don't we just starting throwing paint and squishing and breaking things - he he, we might feel better too ;)

    Lol,

    Amelia.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say Lyla has a very active imagination! Were they Birds Eye?

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Rach - no wonder you're feeling fractured at the moment. I truly admire your energy and humour.

    Chin up chuck.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you lots of love and energy. You are an inspiration. Keep smiling.Hope your art workshops going well.Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a tough woman and hang in there. I was diagnosed with ADHD and OCD at a really young age, and even though I was a handful for my parents like this when I was a kid, I'm forever grateful for their grace and love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the toilet paper messages are frequent, they are communications with angels, our autistic children were destined for another planet where we would attract looks of pity as we still cannot use mind communication

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that she replanted the daffodil holes with onions. It would be more practical to grow onions :) How busy you must be with all this going on!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails