Saturday, 23 January 2010

Calamity Corner


January's been a very accident-prone month here. Having managed to fall down the stairs on Christmas Day and sprain my ankle, I then outdid myself by tripping over a child's shoe at the bottom of my stairs and breaking the same foot, spraining it and re-spraining the ankle. That was four weeks ago. In typically deluded fashion, I thought I'd be all fine an dandy by now, but I'm not. I'm ankle-deep in physio and am now facing the possibility of an op and a long period of immobility. And all because of a pair of (autistic!) child's shoes. And my own clumsiness! It goes without saying that chasing children around has become a more of a challenge than usual.

It also highlighted to me how hard it is for our autistic children to comprehend unforeseen events. Lyla was terrorised by seeing me fall. Clearly, the books/films/TV she's seen have created the impression in her mind that if somebody falls they're going to die. She was hysterical, crying that she loved me and didn't want to lose me. Nothing I said could comfort her. Whilst lying on the floor in shock, I tried to make light of it and explain it was only a silly foot and that I would go to the hospital and the doctors would make it better. Unfortunately, she couldn't be comforted and was so upset that she just couldn't listen. Mya, her twin, got annoyed with her and told her to shut up as I'd be fine but she responded by screaming she had autism and found it really hard. I found the insight in this comment really heartbreaking. On the one hand, I'm glad that she understands herself but at the same time, it was difficult to see her struggling.

Understanding herself doesn't seem to be enough to help her cope. And this is one of those unforeseen situations in life that we all find difficult to adapt to. Let's hope 2010 brings us all more surprises and less shocks!

2 comments:

  1. I had noticed you hadn't been posting for a while and was wondering how your foot was. I hope you don't end up needing an op, fingers crossed. Good luck with physio and other treatments:) I hope Lyla isn't shocked and upset still, although I expect it will take a while for her to get over the anxiety. A very scary situation for a little girl and even more so when she can't understand fully the reactions and what to expect. Hope you see you posting more often and that you get lots of nice surprises in 2010 and less shocks:) Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm sorry to hear how awful it all was and has been. I know it's hard, but a time to take stock and write, and think and dream for your future of 2010 and when you are walking properly again you will know exactly which path to take . . . .

    I look forward to reading more of your writings too ;)

    A.x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails